Suzanne Wingate, PhD, RN, ANP-BC
Division of Intramural Research
Topic: Heart failure; symptom palliation and end of life
Issue: Over 5 million American adults have heart failure, with approximately 5 to 10% of these individuals having advanced-stage heart failure. Advanced-stage heart failure is due to progression of the disease and is characterized by symptoms such as shortness of breath, fatigue, pain, and depression; a decreased quality of life; and a high mortality rate. Treatment of advanced-stage heart failure includes recognizing and managing patients’ symptoms, integrating palliative care, and preparing patients and families for end of life.
Impact: Dr. Suzanne Wingate’s current research examines symptom palliation and end of life in patients with advanced-stage heart failure. In their study of patients’ transition to hospice, she and her colleagues identified important gaps in key clinical information that is exchanged between providers during this transfer. Dr. Wingate and her team also conducted the first and largest multi-site study to investigate pain in patients with advanced-stage heart failure. Findings from this study indicated that this symptom is common and often not relieved with standard medications and treatments. Dr. Wingate and colleagues are now looking at other variables in these patients (such as frailty and symptom severity) to better characterize their symptom burden, with the plan of developing targeted assessment and treatment options for them.
- Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner and the Clinical Director of the Division of Intramural Research for NINR; oversees all clinical and regulatory aspects of the on-campus research activities of NINR scientists
- Practiced for over 40 years in a variety of positions in the field of cardiovascular nursing, including prevention, treatment, and research
- Retired Nurse Corps officer in the U.S. Naval Reserve
- Recognized nationally and internationally as a speaker on variety of cardiovascular topics
- Wrote numerous articles and book chapters and serves as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Cardiac Failure
- Elected as a Fellow by the American Heart Association’s (AHA) Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Stroke
- Elected as a Fellow by the Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association
- Founding board member and Past-President of the American Association of Heart Failure Nurses
- Participated on the AHA’s Professional Education Committee and Expert Panel on Palliative Care
- Served on several committees for AHA’s Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Stroke
- Served on the Scientific Program Committee and the Nurse Education Committee for the American College of Cardiology
- PhD, The Catholic University of America
- MSN, The Catholic University of America
- BSN, University of Maryland
- Influence of depression and gender on symptom burden among patients with advanced heart failure: Insight from the pain assessment, incidence and nature in heart failure study.
Haedtke CA, Moser DK, Pressler SJ, Chung ML, Wingate S, Goodlin SJ.
Heart Lung. 2019 May - Jun;48(3):201-207. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2019.02.002. Epub 2019 Mar 14. PMID: 30879736
- Learning From Caregivers About the End of Life in Patients With a Left Ventricular Assist Device.
JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Apr;176(4):540-1. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.0275. No abstract available. PMID: 26999458
- Palliative and hospice management of heart failure.
Fahlberg BB, Weigand D, Wingate S.
In: Paul S, ed. Heart Failure Disease Management: From Planning to Implementation. Mt Laurel, NJ: The American Association of Heart Failure Nurses. 2014; 179-205.
- Investigating pain in heart failure patients: the pain assessment, incidence, and nature in heart failure (PAIN-HF) study.
Goodlin SJ, Wingate S, Albert NM, Pressler SJ, Houser J, Kwon J, Chiong J, Storey CP, Quill T, Teerlink JR; PAIN-HF Investigators.
J Card Fail. 2012 Oct;18(10):776-83. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2012.07.007. Epub 2012 Sep 1. PMID: 23040113
- Availability of data when heart failure patients are admitted to hospice.
Wingate S, Bain KT, Goodlin SJ.
Congest Heart Fail. 2011 Nov-Dec;17(6):303-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-7133.2011.00229.x. Epub 2011 Jun 27. PMID: 22103922
- Investigating pain in heart failure patients: rationale and design of the Pain Assessment, Incidence & Nature in Heart Failure (PAIN-HF) study.
Goodlin SJ, Wingate S, Pressler SJ, Teerlink JR, Storey CP.
J Card Fail. 2008 May;14(4):276-82. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2008.01.008. PMID: 18474339
- Pain in heart failure patients.
Wingate S, Wheeler MS.
In: Beattie J & Goodlin S, eds. Supportive Care of the Cardiac Patient. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2008; 225-243.
- End-of-life care in the critical care unit for patients with heart failure.
Wingate S, Wiegand DL.
Crit Care Nurse. 2008 Apr; 28(2): 84-95. PMID: 18378730.
- Caring for persons with advanced heart failure.
Home Healthc Nurse. 2007 Sep; 25(8): 511-20. PMID: 17828005.
- Managing noncardiac pain in heart failure patients.
Wheeler M, Wingate S.
J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2004 Nov-Dec; 19(6 Suppl): S75-83. PMID: 15529077.
For Dr. Wingate’s full bibliography, please visit PubMed.